- Place a blanket under the back knee for padding if need. It is the top of the knees that is on the floor, not the kneecaps.
- If the hamstring cramp when the back foot lifts off the floor, learn forward so most weight is on the front foot. Or, wrap a strap around the back foot to pull the foot with the strap.
- Shrug the shoulders up and back. Move the sternum back and lift the chest.
- Draw the tailbone down and the low belly in.
- Isometrically draw the front foot and back knee towards each other.
- Come to Lunge Pose. Right leg forward. Lower the left knee to the floor.
- Turn the front foot out 30 degrees and tilt the knees slightly.
- Hands on the right thigh, use the arms to press the torso away from your thigh. Lengthen the tailbone towards the floor. Feel the front of your back thigh.
- Place your left hand or fingertips on the floor. Bend the back knee and lift the back foot. HOld the outer edge of the back foot with your right hand - thumb points up.
- Spread the back toes, flare the 4th and 5th toes.
- Pull the heels towards the left hip. Heels pressing away from the hips.
- Hold and breathe.
- To come out. Exhale, look forward. Release the back foot to the floor. Place both hands on either side of the front foot. Curl the back toes under and lift the hips.
- Go back to Downdog.
Repeat on the second side.
- If possible, bend and lift the elbows that's holding the foot, to the side.
- Look over to the top shoulder or look back. Hold and breathe.
- Lower the left forearm to the floor and keep your left shoulder away from the ear. Rotate your chest up towards the ceiling, curl the chest and head back. Lean back.
- This then is a thigh stretch, twist and backbend all in one.